Friday, March 27, 2015

It’s Good For You.

How many times as children are we encouraged to do something, just because it is good for us. From Cream of Wheat to spinach to gross fish. We choke stuff down, in an effort for our parents to get some kind of nutrition in our bodies: Why? Because it’s good for you.

I remember when I was a child, and my mother was cooking Halibut. She cooked everything in the microwave, and this was no different. As I remember, it was slimy, it smelled and it was sitting in about a quarter inch of water. 

I hated fish.

I snuck into the bathroom, and I flushed my fish down the toilet, I turned around and there was my father; he was not amused, and he made me eat the rest of the fish.

My mother did try, she was not a chef by any means, but I do believe she enjoyed cooking, or at least baking. But when I was growing up, the microwave was her friend. 

Now as adults, we get the same thing. Once when my “Brick and Mortar” was a restaurant, and I was the manager. I ate well, and my waist line proved it. My wife decided that I needed to eat better, and not have all the greasy fried food I was eating, so she wanted me to start eating fish at least once a week.

I approached the chef, and he told me to go sit down. He said I could fire him if I did not like the fish he cooked; because if he could not fix a piece of fish I would like, then he was not the chef he though he was. I enjoyed my first ever piece of salmon.

I went back to the kitchen, and he taught me how to prepare and cook the fish.

Because I love my wife and I respect her opinions. I learned how to cook fish: Now I eat fish all the time. 

Where am I going with this?

This is not a post on nutrition; this is about readjusting our minds to accept something we find distasteful, because it might be what we need right now.

I have explained that my writing is mostly cathartic. I am writing this, because I know that my “Brick and Mortar” is what I need right now. I need to have this, because I need to have money to survive: Ergo - stay at work.

My “Brick and Mortar” is like that steamy hot plate of stinky fish: Sometimes, this place does cause my stomach to turn. However, this job is good for me.


So what is good for you? What do you have to do that you don’t want? Learn how to readjust your feelings about what is distasteful - another words learn how to cook it correctly. 

6 comments:

  1. Your mom had a microwave!!?? I was 14 when we got a microwave, 14yrs ago! What do I do that I don't want to? Eat celery...yock! I find if you force yourself to snack on celery for a week by the end of the week YOU WILL NEVER WANT A SNACK AGAIN!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I agree, I have snacked on Celery before, and you are correct Yuck!

      Delete
    2. Oh I agree, I have snacked on Celery before, and you are correct Yuck!

      Delete
  2. Great post, you are so right. I'd love to enjoy my writing work, but I don't. Perhaps I need to find out, how to cook it correctly. Maybe some new methods or techniques could work. We'll see. Have a nice weekend! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Johanna, maybe you have lost the love of writing. That can happen - maybe it is because you are writing what you don't have passion for. Look for the passion in your life, and if writing no longer fills the bill, then take some time off from it. Your writing will still be there, and sometimes absence makes the heart grow fonder. Just a thought.

      Delete
    2. Johanna, maybe you have lost the love of writing. That can happen - maybe it is because you are writing what you don't have passion for. Look for the passion in your life, and if writing no longer fills the bill, then take some time off from it. Your writing will still be there, and sometimes absence makes the heart grow fonder. Just a thought.

      Delete